High Line Park
The High Line Park is a park that was renovated from an old and warn down railroad track that cut through the city of New York's Chelsea district. It's 1.5 miles serves as a mini nature oasis and has become one of the most popular spots to visit in the city.
In 1934, High Line was opened as a way of transporting goods via trains. The track was used for this function up until 1980 when the very last train was sent down its tracks. At this time, the use of large freight trucks made the old trains obsolete and shut down many train routes including the High Line. It remained vacant until 1999 when the Friends of the High Line was founded to preserve and maintain the High Line. In April of 2006, groundbreaking on the new renovations begun and on June 9th, the first section of the park, which ran from Gansevoort Street to West 20th Street, opened to the public. In the next five years, the final two sections opened up to the public, the first on June 8th of 2011 that spanned from West 20th Street to West 30th Street and the final, northernmost section of the park opening September 21st, 2014.
For a more specific and interactive map, Click Here